10 stars who were discovered in unexpected ways

New Photo - 10 stars who were discovered in unexpected ways

From walking a dog to buying shoes while drunk, stars can truly come from anywhere. 10 stars who were discovered in unexpected ways From walking a dog to buying shoes while drunk, stars can truly come from anywhere. By Brianna Zigler September 9, 2026 8:30 a.m. ET Leave a Comment :maxbytes(150000):stripicc()/lanaturnercharlizetheronchrispratt090726b654ce19c97f45a0969607e3a2749338.jpg) Lana Turner; Charlize Theron; Chris Pratt.

From walking a dog to buying shoes while drunk, stars can truly come from anywhere.

10 stars who were discovered in unexpected ways

From walking a dog to buying shoes while drunk, stars can truly come from anywhere.

By Brianna Zigler

September 9, 2026 8:30 a.m. ET

Leave a Comment

Lana Turner; Charlize Theron; Chris Pratt

Lana Turner; Charlize Theron; Chris Pratt. Credit:

Silver Screen Collection/Hulton Archive/Getty; HLL/Imazins via Getty; Carlos Alvarez/Getty

While not every rags-to-riches story is quite like Pamela Anderson getting discovered on the jumbotron at a football game, some Hollywood stars had similarly surprising paths to stepping into the spotlight.

With the sheer abundance of nepo babies seemingly infiltrating just about every inch of the entertainment industry, it’s nice to know that there are still grassroots ways of finding fame, from being scouted during a meltdown at a bank to serving an actress while waiting tables at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. Even in the cutthroat days of Old Hollywood, a starlet could suddenly find fame after simply being discovered at a soda shop.

Ahead, ** takes a look at 10 stars who got discovered in ways that might surprise you — and give you some unrealistic hope that you, too, could become instantly famous after getting spotted at the grocery store.

Lana Turner, circa 1942

Lana Turner, circa 1942.

Screen Archives/Getty

In 1995, the *Los Angeles Times* described *Imitation of Life* and *The Postman Always Rings Twice* star Lana Turner’s rise to fame as a “true-to-life Cinderella story,” as recounted by the son of the man who found her, William R. “Billy” Wilkerson.

When she was just 16 years old, Turner, whose real name was Judy, was discovered while at a soda fountain on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles. One day, Billy, who owned *The Hollywood Reporter*, saw Turner and wanted to meet her. He gave her his business card and asked if she “would like to be in pictures,” per W. R. Wilkerson III. “There was something about her that was special. She had a quality all her own that was unforgettable,” Billy said of Turner sometime later.

After writing a letter to agent Zeppo Marx (yes, of Marx Brothers fame), Marx signed Turner, gave her the stage name “Lana,” and the rest is Hollywood history.

Janet Leigh, circa 1950

Janet Leigh, circa 1950.

Silver Screen Collection/Getty

*Psycho* legend Janet Leigh got her start from a chance encounter in Lake Tahoe in 1947. While visiting the area on winter break, Leigh, born Jeanette Helen Morrison, was photographed by the lodge photographer at the resort where her parents worked.

“I had never seen snow before,” she told *The* *Record-Courier* in 2001. “I guess he caught just the right expression.” One month later, her photo caught the attention of actress Norma Shearer, and she arranged to have Leigh do a screen test with MGM Studios.

Within days of the screen test, she had signed a seven-year contract, and weeks later she made her film debut in the 1947 movie *The Romance of Rosy Ridge *opposite actor Van Johnson.

Tippi Hedren

Tippi Hedren at Claridge's Hotel on Aug. 23, 1963

Tippi Hedren at Claridge’s Hotel on Aug. 23, 1963.

Bela Zola/Mirrorpix/Getty

Tippi Hedren, born Nathalie Kay Hedren, was a working model before she was discovered by director Alfred Hitchcock. However, as she told *NBC 7 San Diego* in 2012, she needed better job security. She was a single mother, recently divorced from her ad executive husband.

“When I did move out to California when Melanie [Griffith, her daughter] was about four years old, I thought my career would continue as it had in New York and it didn’t,” she explains. “I’m thinking, ‘Okay, what am I going to do now? I don’t type.’”

But a memorable spot in a popular diet soda commercial caught the eye of none other than Hitchcock, on the rather fitting date of Friday the 13th, in October 1961. “This call came asking me if I was the girl in the Sego commercials,” Hedren recalled. “They said that a producer was interested in me, and I said, ‘Who? Who?’ And they said ‘Come over and have a meeting with us,’ so I did. They wouldn’t tell me at that meeting, and they asked if I would leave my reel of twelve or so commercials and my photo book over the weekend, which I did. I went back on Monday and met more executives. Nobody would tell me who this was!”

“It became kind of a game, and was kind of fun,” she continued. “I was asked to go to MCA, which was then the biggest talent agency in the United States, and it was then that I was told that Alfred Hitchcock wanted to sign me to a contract.”

David Boreanaz

David Boreanaz on July 09, 2026 in Riccione, Italy

David Boreanaz at the Italian Global Series Festival on July 9, 2026 in Riccione, Italy.

Lorenzo Palizzolo/Getty

*Bones* star David Boreanaz didn’t get his big mainstream break for a while after he became serious about acting, but his entry into the industry came from an unlikely place: his dog. He’d been involved in local theater, improv classes, and commercial spots. He walked around handing out his resume, and even pretended to be a studio executive, but it was only while walking his dog in Los Angeles that he finally got noticed by a talent manager.

Tom Parziale took a liking to Boreanaz, and before he knew it, he secured a guest spot on the sitcom *Married… With Children* in 1993. Parziale is still Boreanaz’s agent to this day, but the actor gives equal credit to his pet for launching his career. “I owe a lot to Bertha Blue, my dog at the time,” he told *Parade* in 2019.

Charlize Theron

Charlize Theron on July 14, 2026 in New York City

Charlize Theron at the premiere of ‘The Odyssey’ on July 14, 2026 in New York City.

Jamie McCarthy/Getty

It’s no surprise that Charlize Theron modeled when she moved to the United States from South Africa, but the 18-year-old wasn’t even discovered while at a gig — it was during an ugly moment at a bank.

With only $400 in her account, Theron desperately needed to get a check cashed. But there was a problem. “I was trying to cash my last check from a modeling job in New York, but because it was an out-of-state check, the bank wouldn’t accept it—and I really needed the money. So I began pleading with this teller to help me,” she told Oprah Winfrey in 2005.

She continued: “I was begging and pleading, and a gentleman came over and tried to help... What I didn’t know is that I was auditioning for a guy who would end up being my manager. On the way out, the man who’d helped gave me his card. [He was John Crosby, who represented John Hurt and Rene Russo.] He said, ‘If you’re interested, I’ll represent you.’”

Charlize Theron shuts down face-lift rumors: 'Bitch, I'm just aging'

South African-American actress, film producer and model Charlize Theron on the red carpet at the world premiere of the film Fast X at the Colosseum. Rome (Italy), May 12nd, 2023 (Photo by Massimo Insabato/Archivio Massimo Insabato/Mondadori Portfolio via Getty Images)

Chris Pratt, noted Hollywood Chris, doesn't like being called Chris: 'It's not my name'

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA - JUNE 23: Chris Pratt attends the Marvel Studios "Thor: Love And Thunder" Los Angeles Premiere at El Capitan Theatre on June 23, 2022 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Jon Kopaloff/Getty Images)

Danny Trejo on November 05, 2025 in New York City

Danny Trejo at SiriusXM Studios on Nov. 5, 2025 in New York City.

Gary Gershoff/Getty

Before becoming famous, Danny Trejo had a hard life, dealing with a heroin addiction at a young age and spending some time in prison. He got sober around 1969, which ultimately provided him a surprising path to his acting career.

After getting clean, he worked for a while as a drug counselor, where he became acquainted with a young production assistant who was looking to stay clean himself (via *Variety*). The PA ended up getting Trejo a job as an extra on a film, because he wanted Trejo around to help make sure he stayed sober.

The movie was *Runaway Train* (1985), and one of the screenwriters, Eddie Bunker, just happened to be a formerly incarcerated man who knew Trejo from his final stint in prison. Remembering that Trejo excelled in boxing, Bunker asked him to train the film’s star, Eric Roberts. The director, Andrei Konchalovsky, ultimately offered him a role.

“All of a sudden everybody started calling me ‘Mr. Trejo,’” the actor recalled. “I got my hair done; I got to wear makeup.”

Alden Ehrenreich

Alden Ehrenreich on June 07, 2026 in New York City

Alden Ehrenreich at the 79th Annual Tony Awards on June 7, 2026 in New York City.

Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty

Alden Ehrenreich had no idea that a friend’s bat mitzvah would be attended by legendary director Steven Spielberg, or that a home video he made for the celebration would be the thing that kickstarted his career in the film industry.

Ehrenreich told Conan O’Brien about how it all started (via *Us Weekly*). “Me and my friend Johnny used to make these really stupid videos just to make ourselves laugh,” he recalled. “So then this girl asked us to make one for her bat mitzvah and so we made this horrible video for her bat mitzvah where I’m sneaking into her house and I’m smelling her clothes and singing a song. And we showed it to our parents and they all said, ‘You can’t let anybody see this cause you look like a moron.’ And we said, ‘We don’t care.’”

***Get your daily dose of entertainment news, celebrity updates, and what to watch with our ******EW Dispatch newsletter******.***

Ultimately, Ehrenreich wasn’t even *at* the bat mitzvah — but that was enough for the director of *Jurassic Park. *“So then it showed at the [bat] mitzvah and Steven Spielberg was there and he saw me,” Ehrenreich said. “I wasn’t there, I was at a Latin convention with my school. And then we got a phone call from Dreamworks and then they asked me to come in and have a meeting and that’s how I was able to start working.”

Chris Pratt on January 8, 2026 in London, England

Chris Pratt promoting ‘Mercy’ on Jan. 8, 2026 in London, England.

Alan Chapman/Dave Benett/WireImage

Chris Pratt got discovered through a tried-and-true profession for aspiring actors: waiting tables. When he was 19, Pratt had an acting background but was tired of his most recent day job as a door-to-door salesman.* *He moved to Hawaii with his friend, where they literally lived in a van, and for cash, he worked as a waiter at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.

In the end, luck was improbably on Pratt’s side. One day, *The Color Purple* actress Rae Dawn Chong came in to eat, and Pratt noticed her immediately. He took the opportunity to talk to her, saying, “‘You’re in the movies, right? I always wanted to be in the movies.’”

As he recounted to EW, his boldness ended up paying off: “She said, ‘You’re cute. Do you act?’ I was like, f— it, ‘Goddamn right I act! Put me in a movie!”’ Chong cast him in her directorial debut, *Cursed Part 3,* and while it wasn’t very good, it was the open door Pratt was looking for.

“I knew the movie was bad but it didn’t matter,” he told *GQ* in 2015. “All I needed was footage from my scenes so that I could use it to get a manager and an agent. I was just always hyper-focused on the next step...I was pretty delusional and young. Luckily.”

Rosario Dawson

Rosario Dawson on August 14, 2026 in Anaheim, California

Rosario Dawson at D23 on Aug. 14, 2026 in Anaheim, California.

Kevin Mazur/Getty

Rosario Dawson was a teenager living in affordable housing in the East Village with her mother and stepfather when her life changed forever. When the *Death Proof* actress was 15, a commercial shoot took place outside her family’s apartment. While her father wanted her to get discovered, Dawson was preoccupied with a crush on one of the grips.

While vying for the grip’s attention, Dawson would hang out on her front porch and send him flirty looks. He eventually came over and asked if the crew could film any scenes in her apartment. “I couldn’t really hear what he was saying, and I started laughing to myself because I thought, this guy looks like the classic depiction of Jesus, you know?” Dawson recalled for *Dazed*. “I started guffawing because I was like, ‘I’m humouring Jesus’. They were shooting sounds that day on the commercial and this whole group of people suddenly turned and looked at me and I thought I was in trouble, and it ended up being a pre-production group from *Kids* that were scouting for locations.”

She was then approached by *Kids* director Larry Clark and its screenwriter, a then-19-year-old Harmony Korine, who wanted Dawson to audition for the part of Ruby — which would ultimately become her film debut. “Larry said he was making his first movie and would I be interested,” she said. “And Harmony was jumping up and down, like, ‘Oh my God, I wrote this character for you without even realising. I didn’t even know you. You’re perfect for this character, you have to come in. You have to come in, you have to come in.’”

Charlie Hunnam

Charlie Hunnam on March 01, 2026 in Los Angeles, California

Charlie Hunnam at the 32nd Annual Actor Awards on March 1, 2026 in Los Angeles, California.

Earl Gibson III/Deadline via Getty

*Sons of Anarchy* star Charlie Hunnam wanted to make it as an actor, but when he was finally discovered, the circumstances weren’t exactly ideal. While doing some last-minute shopping on Christmas Eve, Hunnam, drunk after hours spent in a pub, wandered into a shoe shop.

“I was in JD Sports trying on some trainers for my brother, [having] a bit of a dance around, drunk,” Hunnam recalled during an appearance on *The Graham Norton Show* in 2017. “And there was a lady staring at me, and so I blew her a kiss and gave her a little wink.”

But the woman he decided to get cheeky with wasn’t just a random citizen — she was the production manager of the long-running British drama series *Byker Grove*. She invited him to audition for the show, and he ended up making his screen debut in an episode.

- Celebrities & Creators

Original Article on Source

Source: "EW Celebrities"

Read More


Source: Celebrities

Published: September 9, 2026 at 05:39PM on Source: MORNING MAG

#ShowBiz#Sports#Celebrities#Lifestyle

 

MORNING MAG © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com