Joseph Zada, Whitney Peak, and Elle Fanning gush to EW about the sweet interactions. Sunrise on the Reaping stars got flowers, kind messages from fellow Hunger Games stars: ‘I’m here for you’ Joseph Zada, Whitney Peak, and Elle Fanning gush to EW about the sweet interactions. By Shania Russell :maxbytes(150000):stripicc()/ShaniaRussellauthorphoto5934b684845d480caa4485648c39ef2b.jpg) Shania Russell Shania Russell is a news writer at , with five years of experience. Her work has previously appeared in SlashFilm and Paste Magazine. EW's editorial guidelines August 27, 2026 11:00 a.m.
Joseph Zada, Whitney Peak, and Elle Fanning gush to EW about the sweet interactions.
Sunrise on the Reaping stars got flowers, kind messages from fellow *Hunger Games *stars: ‘I’m here for you’
Joseph Zada, Whitney Peak, and Elle Fanning gush to EW about the sweet interactions.
By Shania Russell
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/Shania-Russell-author-photo-5934b684845d480caa4485648c39ef2b.jpg)
Shania Russell
Shania Russell is a news writer at *, *with five years of experience. Her work has previously appeared in SlashFilm and Paste Magazine.
EW's editorial guidelines
August 27, 2026 11:00 a.m. ET
Leave a Comment
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/Sunrise-on-the-Reaping-Digital-Cover-Stills-082426-05-2017e3156e664d48bac9a68fe31335ae.jpg)
Joseph Zada as Haymitch Abernathy and Whitney Peak as Lenore Dove Baird in ‘The Hunger Games: Sunrise on the Reaping’. Credit:
Murray Close/Lionsgate
- The stars of *Sunrise on the Reaping* are sharing the various ways they’ve connected with fellow *Hunger Games *alums.
- Joseph Zada tells * *that he got to witness Woody Harrelson’s “big heart” firsthand.
- Meanwhile, Whitney Peak says a chat with Rachel Zegler helped her process the high pressure of stepping into the major franchise.
The Capitol doesn’t exactly give new tributes the warmest welcome. Thankfully, the past stars of *The Hunger Games* have got it covered.
While reflecting on their entry into the franchise for **‘s latest cover story, the stars of the upcoming prequel film *Sunrise on the Reaping* gushed about all the sweet interactions they’ve had with their predecessors thus far. For one, Joseph Zada confirmed that he got the chance to meet Woody Harrelson — but not until after he wrapped filming as their shared character, Haymitch Abernathy.
“We spoke after shooting and just caught up and shared some stories,” Zada tells EW. “I asked him a bunch of questions that he probably gets asked all the time, but I just watched too much of him — many, many, many movies — to not have [questions].”
Zada says that in chatting with Harrelson, he was struck by just how open-hearted the actor was even amid their first interaction.
“He was so polite and so sweet, really caring and gives you all of his attention,” Zada shares. “When he looks at you, he’s listening intently and he’s got a big heart, Woody. Very big heart, which was important for the character as well.”
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/Joseph-Zada-in-Sunrise-on-the-Reaping-and-Woody-Harrelson587-08262026-1545b5b28af54924a7ffa4c399d831c2.jpg)
Joseph Zada as Haymitch Abernathy in ‘The Hunger Games: Sunrise on the Reaping’ and Woody Harrelson in ‘The Hunger Games: Catching Fire’.
Murray Close/lionsgate (2)
Meeting Harrelson gave Zada the chance to see just how much of himself the actor had poured into the character at the center of *SOTR*‘s action.
“It’s not just Haymitch [who] has a big heart,” Zada says. “I think that Woody himself has such a big heart that you have to try and find that in the character because that’s what he brings to all of his characters, the heart and soul of the performance. I think the best way to do that is just try to connect with yourself as much as you can because you can’t bring that to the screen unless it’s authentic to you.”
‘Hunger Games’ stars tease Haymitch and Effie’s ‘flirty’ relationship in prequel film ‘Sunrise on the Reaping’
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/Sunrise-on-the-Reaping-Digital-Cover-Stills-082426-07-022921e2956d4aa3915ec77034277334.jpg)
‘Sunrise on the Reaping’ cast teases a dark chapter of Panem’s history in exclusive EW cover portraits
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/Sunrise-on-the-Reaping-Digital-Cover-Shoot-082426-12-3b8e5d1ae85f46269da30f9b7c8d9dba.jpg)
Zada isn’t the only one who was met with a warm welcome. Elle Fanning says she heard from Elizabeth Banks — from whom she’s taken up the Effie Trinket mantle — immediately after she was announced for the prequel.
“She sent me flowers, which was amazing, and it said, ‘May the odds ever be in your favor,’” Fanning shares with a smile. “We DMed a little bit and she just kind of gave me her blessing and was like, ‘I’m so excited to see what you’re gonna do with her.’”
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/Sunrise-on-the-Reaping-Digital-Cover-Stills-082426-07-022921e2956d4aa3915ec77034277334.jpg)
Elle Fanning as Effie Trinket in ‘The Hunger Games: Sunrise on the Reaping’.
Murray Close/Lionsgate
Fanning adds that Banks’ kind words provided “a real confidence boost” as she prepared to step into Effie’s fabulous shoes. A similar sentiment was shared by Whitney Peak, whose Lenore Dove Baird shares a name and Covey background with *The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes *protagonist Lucy Gray Baird.
That shared history made it all the more special — and reassuring — when Peak got the support of Lucy Gray herself, Rachel Zegler.
“When I first got the news, there was an influx of noise,” Peak explains. “It was a lot of people being really supportive and really excited, but I think that was really overwhelming to me because I was starting to feel the pressure of what it is. I mean, this is a giant world to step into.”
Luckily, just when she needed it, Peak got a few private words of support from Zegler.
“She reached out to me and was like, ‘Whatever you need, I’m here for you, whenever you need it,’” Peak recalls.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/Whitney-Peak-in-Sunrise-and-Rachel-Zegler-in-Ballad-of-Songbirds-and-Snakes588-08262026-9c0b55859d33483ca0b550929a35d365.jpg)
Whitney Peak in ‘The Hunger Games: Sunrise on the Reaping’ and Rachel Zegler in ‘The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes’.
Murray Close/Lionsgate (2)
The duo later teamed up for a joint interview that again proved crucial to Peak processing the fervor.
“I was really afraid,” she admits. “I was really excited, but I think I was letting the nerves take over that. And she just made me feel really comfortable and seen.”
***Get your daily dose of entertainment news, celebrity updates, and what to watch with our ******EW Dispatch newsletter******.***
Peak adds that Zegler had firsthand knowledge of what she was going through as “she had been in the exact same position, at the same age.” The actress says that getting to talk it all through with someone who truly understood the pressure “felt like a hug” and was, overall, “very comforting.”
In the end, it was exactly what Peak needed to truly enjoy the experience.
Peak adds, “After that [conversation], I was able to settle into it and be like, ‘You know what? I’m incredibly lucky to have this opportunity. I’m incredibly grateful. And I’m just down for the ride.’”
- Film Worlds & Fandoms
- The Hunger Games Fandom
Source: "EW The"
Source: The
Published: August 30, 2026 at 12:38AM on Source: MORNING MAG
#ShowBiz#Sports#Celebrities#Lifestyle